If reading is not your thing you can watch my review video!
Being in the beauty industry I have found that lipstick is a staple that can make or break your whole look. Because of this, I am always on the hunt for the longest lasting wear. I need to know that I can go out and not have to worry about going to the powder room every five minutes to check my face.
There are so many factors to consider when choosing a lipstick that you have to weigh out every option.
Is it the right shade for me?
God forbid my friends ever let me walk out of the house with color on that does not work for me (it has happened, and all I could think was shoot me now).
How long will this lipstick stay on and will it smudge all over my face?
I don’t want to look like a clown with red smudges all over.
Is it matte or gloss?
My personal favorite is matte. It’s a very classic look and almost always stays on longer than any glossy lipstick I have found.
How does it apply?
Is it liquid that needs drying time or a tube that you can slap on?
Can I give my boyfriend a kiss without giving half of my lipstick away?
Let’s be real, he doesn’t want my lipstick, and I don’t want to share it anyway.
Let’s Get Into It
With all of these factors in mind, I decided to try the two most popular matte lipsticks that I know of. Kat Von D’s Everlasting Liquid Lipstick and Kylie Cosmetics Lip Kit (I can’t restrain myself after hearing all of the hype about both brands).
Without further ado, these are my opinions of the two sell-out lip brands. Perks and pitfalls included with brutal honesty.
Now, I think I have tried nearly every shade available of Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick. I could go on and on about how I spend way too much on lipsticks, but I would rather tell you about the product.
Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick
- Every shade you can imagine. Not only does Kat provide your typical colors but so much more. Any color of the rainbow is available in this line. Neutral shades for any skin tone, brights that are outside of the box, and bolds for a night out at the club. You imagine it; she has it.
- Mechanical lip liner. You can use every little bit of liner with virtually no waste.
- Smooth application. It’s easy to apply even, thin layers and it is pliable, so you have time to smooth everything before it dries.
- Long lasting. This lipstick gives a new definition to all day wear (make sure to get the lip liner for the all-day stay).
- This lipstick is matte-tastic(it’s the perfect finish for me). It dries very matte without completely flaking off or feeling so dry you want to chew it off your lips.
- You have to buy the lip liner and the lipstick separately (insert sad face emoji here). Because you have to buy them individually, this brand is slightly more expensive.
- If you don’t use the lip liner, it won’t last nearly as long. It will smudge slightly easier, and you will have to do a few more touch-ups.
- Kat’s lipstick is fierce to get off. I carry around waterproof makeup remover wipes to make sure I can get it off if I need to.
I sat thinking about downsides to Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick for a long time, but those three are all I can come up with at this point. We all know that no lipstick is perfect but damn, I have to rate it 9 out of 10.
After that, I moved on to the Kylie Jenner lipstick. Since it’s release, no one has shut up about it, so I had to check it off my list.
Kylie Lip Kit
- Fantastic shade options – I found Kylie’s shades to be very pigmented. Excellent choice for getting rich, deep shades of color.
- Provides a perfect matte finish. With no sign of shine anywhere, this is what I was looking for.
- Liquid for easy application. I have OCD when it comes to having perfect outlines on my lips, so the liquid is entirely my preference to get the precision I need.
- You can mix and match your lip liners with your lipsticks to get variations in each shade. OMG, who knew that with a few options you could get so many different colors (I never thought of it until a coworker pointed out the possibilities to me)?
- Traditional lip liners that you still need a sharpener to use. This way you can sharpen all you want to get precise lines.
- The lipstick dries super fast. I don’t feel like I have enough time to apply smooth even coats.
- Getting thin layers and full coverage is hard. It’s important never to get your lipstick too thick. I’ve learned the hard way that you end up with a mess.
- The formula is super dry. It feels like flaky chalk on my lips, and I go crazy. The darker the shade, the flakier it feels.
- The shades that I want were consistently sold out. I have to diligently watch my email to make sure I order the second I get the email that they are back in stock or I will miss it (again. ugh.).
- Traditional lip liner, I know, I said it’s a perk. It still is, but a pitfall as well because it can be wasteful.
- Almost impossible to get off. I suggest waterproof makeup remover.
All in all, I would give the Kylie Lip Kit a 7 out of 10. I love the pigments and the matte finish, but I hate the flaking. I have to reapply, and I don’t like the thick feeling by the end of the day.
Every time I try a different liquid lipstick I always end up coming back to Kat’s (throw in some witty comment about the grass being greener on the other side. Ha, it’s not.). It works exceptionally for me, and I just haven’t found anything close to it thus far.
Paulina’s Final Thoughts
For me, it always has been, and always will be Kat Von D. I get smoother results and more extended wear. I don’t like to eat my lipstick, and that’s how I feel with Kylie’s.
Both have great perks; it’s just a matter of what works for you. Don’t let me deter you from either; one may work better for you than it will for someone else.
Liquid lipstick is hands down, the best thing I discovered in years (I don’t own any regular lipstick anymore, bye Felicia). Don’t just take my word for it, check out the product links and try it yourself.
2 thoughts on “Lipstick Goddess: Kat Von D vs Kylie Lip Kit”