Introducing the Best Detangling Brushes of 2023
Are you tired of fighting with tangled hair every day? Look no further than the humble detangling brush! This essential tool is a game-changer for anyone with unruly hair types.
With so many options on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. Luckily, we are here to help. We’ve tried and tested some of the best detangling brushes out there, so you can say goodbye to painful knots and hello to luscious locks.
At a Glance:
- Tangle Teezer The Ultimate Detangler – Best Overall
- Wet Brush Original Detangler – Best for All Hair Types
- Crave Naturals Glide Thru – Best for Long Hair & Sensitive Scalp
- Denman Curly Hair Brush – Best for Curly Hair
- Framar Detangling Brush – Best for Thick Hair
Detangling Brushes That Actually Work: Our Top Five Picks
Detangling hair can be a real challenge. But, with these top five detangling brushes, you’ll wonder how you ever lived without them.
1. Tangle Teezer The Ultimate Detangler – Best Overall
The best detangling brush of 2023 is the Ultimate Detangler by Tangle Teezer. With its unique design and flexible bristles, this detangling brush can work through all hair types, from fine and thin to thick and curly – without any pulling or tugging.
Tangle Teezer brush’s bristles are specifically designed to massage the scalp and stimulate circulation while detangling, promoting healthier hair. And, because the Tangle Teezer brush is so gentle, it can be used on wet or dry hair without causing any damage or breakage.
One of the best things about this detangling brush is its compact size, making it easy to take with you on the go. You can use this comb in the shower to brush through shampoo and conditioner, after which you can enjoy a blow-dry session like no other. With over 70,000 positive reviews on Amazon, this detangling brush is a fan favorite for a reason!
- Works for all hair types, including curls and waves
- Flexible bristles prevent pulling and tugging
- Massages scalp and promotes healthy hair follicles by reducing damaged hair
- Gentle enough for use on wet and dry hair
- Compact size for easy portability
- Its small design may be uncomfortable for those with larger hands
- The shape of its handle may cause an uncomfortable grip for those who prefer a traditional brush design
2. Wet Brush Original Detangler – Best for All Hair Types
The Wet Brush Detangler is a life-changing hairbrush for anyone with thick, curly, or easily tangled hair. It features Intelliflex bristles that glide through tangles with ease without pulling or damaging your hair. This comb is also great for anyone who wants to minimize breakage and split ends, so it’s perfect to use on wet hair.
This detangler brush is incredibly versatile. It can be used in wet or dry hair, and it works equally well on extensions and wigs. Plus, the Wet Brush Original Detangler brush is available in a wide range of colors and designs, so you can find one that suits your style.
However, some users have noted that the Wet Brush Original Detangler can be difficult to clean and that it tends to accumulate hair and debris over time. Despite this minor drawback, this green hair detangler has gathered over 50,000 reviews on Amazon and made a real difference in the lives of many people with damaged hair.
- Intelliflex bristles detangle hair without pulling or damaging it
- Suitable for any hair type, including wigs and extensions
- Proven success in reducing breakage and split ends
- Available in a range of colors and designs
- Difficult to clean
- Soft bristles may not be firm enough for some users
3. Crave Naturals Glide Thru – Best for Long Hair & Sensitive Scalp
The Crave Naturals Glide Thru is among the best detangling brushes for those who struggle with detangling curly hair. The brush features unique cone-shaped bristles that work to gently separate knots and tangles without pulling or breaking the hair strands. The flexible bristles adjust to the shape of your scalp, making the detangling process effortless.
These hair brushes are designed to be lightweight and comfortable to hold, with an ergonomic handle that first comfortably in your hand. The brush bristles are made from high-quality nylon, which is gentle on the scalp and won’t cause any irritation or discomfort.
However, there are some downsides to this detangler brush. Buyers have noted that it may not be as effective on very fine hair, as the nylon bristles may not be able to grip the wet hair enough to detangle it. Still, the Crave Naturals Glide Thru holds a steady fanbase of over 70,000 reviews on Amazon, so it’s worth a try.
- Cone-shaped, flexible bristles for easy detangling
- Lightweight and comfortable to hold
- High-quality nylon bristles gentle on the scalp
- Glides through the hair root smoothly
- May not be as effective on thin or very fine hair
- Can be difficult to clean
4. Denman Curly Hair Brush D3 – Best for Curly Hair
If you have thicker hair, you know the importance of a good brush that can tame your locks without causing damage. The Denman Curly Hair Brush is just the tool for the job, with its mix of soft and firm nylon bristles that slide through hair easily and detangle any knots or snarls on natural hair.
The detangler brush features a unique cushioned pad that is gentle on the scalp and allows easy movement, reducing stress on your textured hair and making it easier to manage. The cozy handle provides a secure grip for easy styling, better curl definition, and more volume.
One thing to note is that the hairbrush is quite large and features a wide tooth comb, which may not be the best choice for those with a shorter hair type. Additionally, some users have reported that the bristles can become damaged over time with frequent use. Despite these minor drawbacks, the Denman brush has gathered over 80,000 happy customers on Amazon, raving about its effectiveness in taming even the thickest, most stubborn hair types.
- Soft and firm bristles that perfectly detangle natural hair
- Cushioned paddle brush that massages the root and reduces damaged hair
- Very effective on dry strands and thick hair
- Perfect for styling curls and waves
- Larger brush size may not be suitable for shorter hair or travel
- Bristles may become damaged with frequent use
5. Framar Detangling Brush – Best for Thick Hair
For those of you who are tired of tugging and pulling your wet hair while brushing, the Framar Detangling Brush might be just what you need. This paddle brush is specifically designed to detangle wet hair, making the process less painful and more efficient.
One of the things that make these detangling brushes stand out is their unique design. The bristles are placed in a V-shaped pattern, allowing them to glide smoothly through dry, damp, or wet hair without pulling or snagging. Additionally, they’re made of flexible plastic, which helps with hair loss on any hair type.
If you have thick curls, you’ll find that this comb will easily detangle your wet or dry hair, making the styling process so much easier. One minor drawback is that these brushes may not be as durable as others in the market. This seems to be a relatively rare occurrence, as over 12,000 customers have given this product overwhelmingly positive reviews on Amazon.
- Flexible head design perfect for detangling curls
- Ergonomic handle for comfortable use
- Suitable for any hair type, best for thick curls
- Not as durable as other brushing combs
- May be too rough on non-natural hair
- Paddle brush design may be inconvenient for some
What to Look for in a Detangling Brush
Before you hop on Amazon, remember that the perfect detangling brush should match your hair type. Here’s a short buying guide to help you with that:
Nylon bristle brushes can be gentle on your roots, but they can also be too flexible and not effective on thicker hair strands. If you want to detangle thick or natural hair, look for a brush with a combination of other bristles, such as boar bristles.
Size and Shape
A larger detangling brush with more bristles is better for thick hair, while a small brush with fewer bristles is better for fine hair. A curved shape can also help the brushes glide through the hair more easily, especially if you’re styling in the shower.
The handle of a detangling brush is important for comfort and ease of use. Look for a handle that is easy to grip, especially if you have arthritis or other hand conditions. A rubberized grip can also prevent slipping while using the brush in the shower.
Wet or Dry Hair
Some detangling brush variations are designed specifically for use in the shower, while others can be used on both wet and dry hair. Make sure to read the product description to see if the brush you’re interested in is suitable for use on wet hair, especially if you plan to detangle your knots in the shower.
A detangling brush can range in price from a few dollars to over $100. However, a higher price doesn’t always mean better quality, as you can easily get rid of your tangles and knots with a budget-friendly brush.
Before purchasing the brush of your dreams, always read the customer reviews first. Look for reviews from people with hair lengths and types similar to yours, and pay attention to any recurring complaints or praises.
A Good Detangling Brush Goes a Long Way
When choosing a detangling brush, consider the type and texture of your hair, the purpose of the brush, and the bristle type. Remember to pay attention to the shape and size of the brush, its handle design, and any additional features that you may find handy.
It’s important to find a brush that works well with your hair type and prevents damage to make styling easier. We do recommend that you start your search with the Tangle Teezer, our favorite detangling brush so far.
There is no one-size-fits-all solution, so it’s still best to try out different options to find the perfect detangling brush for your hair. Once you do, you’ll find that the detangling brush is the one styling tool you can’t imagine living without.